Robert Reich has put into plain language something that is incredibly blatant — if you don’t reject any news you don’t agree with. He listed things that Trump voters “bought,” but didn’t receive.
Trump is a known liar, he lied so much that his PolitiFact score throughout the election and into his presidency stayed at or near 70 percent untrue, Reich brings us 13 of those things Trump has not told the full truth about.
Reich listed lies, what he said to Trump voters that he would do, which he then did differently while in office. A sad statement indeed when he has not yet been in office for 4 months, and Reich was able to list so many straight up falsehoods with “more to come.”
Reich shared this list on his Facebook page on Sunday. One thing that the Facebook platform doesn’t really allow for is linking sources, and it does matter that each of these is easily corroborated. So, we have decided to link each of these to supporting documentation for your fact-checking pleasure.
Reich’s post is in its entirety below, all links, sources, and emphasis are mine:
Update for Trump voters.
1. He said he wouldn’t bomb Syria. You bought it. Then he bombed Syria.
In a statement on his website, during the campaign, he said his opponent Hillary would attack Syria, and it would lead to war with Russia. The inference is that he would not do this:
“We’re spending $6 trillion dollars on wars in the Middle East, while our own country falls into total disrepair. Now Hillary wants to start a shooting war in Syria, in conflict with a nuclear-armed Russia, which could lead to World War 3.”
2. He said he’d build a wall along the border with Mexico. You bought it. Now his secretary of homeland security says “It’s unlikely that we will build a wall.”
3. He said he’d clean the Washington swamp. You bought it. Then he brought into his administration more billionaires, CEOs, and Wall Street moguls than in any administration in history, to make laws that will enrich their businesses.
4. He said he’d repeal Obamacare and replace it with something “wonderful.” You bought it. Then he didn’t.
Trump’s “wonderful” replacement was kicking millions off of healthcare and reducing protections. It failed miserably, and was pulled before a vote because they didn’t take away enough protections to satisfy the Freedom Caucus and it took away too many to win Democratic support.
5. He said he’d use his business experience to whip the White House into shape. You bought it. Then he created the most chaotic, dysfunctional, back-stabbing White House in modern history, in which no one is in charge.
6. He said he’d release his tax returns, eventually. You bought it. He hasn’t, and says he never will.
7. He said he’d divest himself from his financial empire, to avoid any conflicts of interest. You bought it. He remains heavily involved in his businesses, makes money off of foreign dignitaries staying at his Washington hotel, gets China to give the Trump brand trademark and copyright rights, manipulates the stock market on a daily basis, and has more conflicts of interest than can even be counted.
8. He said Clinton was in the pockets of Goldman Sachs, and would do whatever they said. You bought it. Then he put half a dozen Goldman Sachs executives in positions of power in his administration.
9. He said he’d surround himself with all the best and smartest people. You bought it. Then he put Betsy DeVos, opponent of public education, in charge of education; Jeff Sessions, opponent of the Voting Rights Act, in charge of voting rights; Ben Carson, opponent of the Fair Housing Act, in charge of fair housing; Scott Pruitt, climate change denier, in charge of the Environmental Protection Agency; and Russian quisling Rex Tillerson as Secretary of State.
10. He said he’d faithfully execute the law. You bought it. Then he said his predecessor, Barack Obama, spied on him, without any evidence of Obama ever doing so, in order to divert attention from the FBI’s investigation into collusion between his campaign and Russian operatives to win the election.
11. He said he knew more about strategy and terrorism than the generals did. You bought it. Then he promptly gave the green light to a disastrous raid in Yemen– even though all his generals said it would be a terrible idea. This raid resulted in the deaths of a Navy SEAL, an 8-year old American girl, and numerous civilians. The actual target of the raid escaped, and no useful intel was gained.
12. He called Barack Obama “the vacationer-in-Chief” and accused him of playing more rounds of golf than Tiger Woods. He promised to never be the kind of president who took cushy vacations on the taxpayer’s dime, not when there was so much important work to be done. You bought it. He has by now spent more taxpayer money on vacations than Obama did in the first 3 years of his presidency. Not to mention all the money taxpayers are spending protecting his family, including his two sons who travel all over the world on Trump business.
13. He called CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times “fake news” and said they were his enemy. You bought it. Now he gets his information from Fox News, Breitbart, Gateway Pundit, and InfoWars.
More to come.
We will keep you updated as that “more to come” is released. This should be shocking to all Americans, because these 13 things that Trump sold his voters, yet delivered something very different — even the opposite — have happened in a very short time period. It is near one failed promise, or straight up lie, a week and the list isn’t even finished yet.