Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz) won’t live down the words he spoke, no matter how hard he tries to put that Genie back in the bottle.
“Barack Obama is directly responsible for Orlando because when he pulled everybody out of Iraq, al Qaeda went to Syria, became ISIS, and ISIS is what it is today thanks to Barack Obama’s failures, utter failures, by pulling everybody out of Iraq, thinking that conflicts end just because you leave, so the responsibility for it lies with President Barack Obama and his failed policies.”
~ Sen John McCain said earlier this week as reported by the LA Times, who later said he “misspoke.”
A few points, if I may:
- Run-on sentence much?
- As far as has been determined, Omar Mateen wasn’t affiliated with ISIS. No links whatsoever. So for starters, there’s that.
- ISIS was originally established seventeen years ago, but only came into power when the remnants of Saddam’s Republican Guards joined up with them to fight off the Shia majority Cheney-Bush engineered. The Republican Guards that Cheney-Bush sent home replete with hundreds of tons of weapons as souvenirs, in a war you cheered for all the way, Senator. And they’ve been using THOSE VERY WEAPONS against us ever since. Heckuva’ job, John.
- Barack Obama pulled our troops out of Iraq in 2011 as per the agreement signed by Cheney-Bush. In fact, Obama tried to convince the al Maliki government to let us keep a peace-keeping presence there, but they refused. So we left on schedule.
- Al Qaeda and ISIS are two distinct terror groups, and they often clash over ideological differences—clashes that include violent confrontations. One didn’t “become” the other.
• Remember that election eight years ago? Yeah, that one. Breaking News: You lost! It’s high time you got over it. In fact, rather than sniping at President Obama, you should show a little gratitude. Do you recall what was going on in the fall/winter of 2008? The economy cratered. Had you won, the task of righting the biggest economic disaster in 80 years would have fallen on your shoulders—yours and those of the Screech of the North. Joe Biden, with his decades of experience in Congress has been instrumental in advising this president. Pray tell, what sort of wisdom might your Veep have brought to the table? How to gut a caribou? You should thank your lucky stars the task of halting the 770,000 per month loss of jobs didn’t land in your lap. I know the rest of us are grateful for it.
So no, you didn’t misspeak at all, McCain.
You just did what you’ve been doing for eight years: you lost that famous temper of yours and popped off at the guy who kicked your ass fair and square. It would behoove you if you’d get over it already. Your reputation as a war hero will only be as secure as the statements you’ve made since.
Feature image courtesy of Getty Images News/Pete Marovich